What is the acceptance rate and ranking of McGill University?: McGill University is one of Canada’s best-known Universities for higher education. Students from around 150 countries come to study here. This public university was founded in the year 1821. The university’s teaching and research programs are recognized by the whole world. The university offers education to more than 40,000 students from all over the world.
The university is the member of Association of American Universities, is among the 2 universities that are situated outside of United States and still are members of the association. The university offers scholarships to its students. The residence is also available in the campus.
Ranking of the university –
As per the year 2017-18–
- The university ranked 1st in Canada.
- In 2019 QS World University Ranking, the university ranked is 33rd in the world and 2nd in Canada.
- According to the Times Higher Education’s World University Ranking Data in Canada, McGill University ranked is in 3rd place and is present in top 200 worldwide bases.
Acceptance rate of McGill University –
The university offers around 300 degrees and diplomas. The university has the highest average admission requirements when compared with any other Canadian university.
The acceptance rate of the university is 46.3 % in the year 2016. Before giving admission to a student, the university takes in account of many factors like academic credentials, grades, proficiency in English etc.
Minimum requirements required for admission purposes are –
- A Bachelor’s Degree or an equivalent degree that is recognized by the university.
- High Academic Achievement – the university requires a minimum GPA of 3.2 out of 4.0 and CGPA of 3.0 out of 4.0.
- Proficiency in English – tests of English that are accepted by the university are –
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB)
- University of Cambridge ESOL Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) and Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
- Edexcel London Test of English (Level 4 or level 5) and
- McGill Certificate of Proficiency in English.
Programs offered here –
The university offers around 300 degree and diploma programs. The board headings are divided into 5 group programs –
The university is also famous for the researches that it is involved in which got the researches numerous awards and made the university famous.
Scholarships that are offered by the university –
The university offers numerous scholarships, financial aids, and bursaries. Some of the broad headings are given below –
- Entrance scholarships (one-year scholarships and major scholarships)
- Faculty-specific entrance scholarships
- Government aids
- Need-based financial aids
Scholarships for international students are also available. The students get a chance to apply for scholarships and financial aids within 30 days after the date of formal acceptance is done.
The university also offers Work-Study Program to help out the students’ financial needs and experience.
Name of some notable alumni –
The university has numerous numbers of notable alumni. Some of those names are mentioned here –
- Mark J. Poznansky – He is a research scientist and the past CEO of Ontario Genomics Institute (OGI).
- Ahmed Nazif – He was the Prime Minister of Egypt from the year 2004. He is also known as the youngest Prime Minister in Egypt.
- Otto Hahn – A German chemist who got the 1944 Nobel Prize in chemistry.
The university has given the world 5 astronauts, 3 Canadian Prime Ministers, 7 foreign leaders, 28 Olympic medallists and many more.