Imagine a bright sunny Sunday morning. Just the perfect time for a round of golf with business friends. The greens tempt you and you whisk off in a jiffy. The excitement palpable, you just can’t wait to tee off. Your friends have arrived as well and the gang is all set for a game of golf to remember! But whoa! Your golf cart is stuttering as it tries hard to move beyond the 12th hole giving you enough indication that it’s just about the time to start shopping for a replacement golf cart battery. Depending upon the voltage of your cart or your gangs’ carts, you may need to checkout and use 12-volt, 8-volt or 6-volt batteries. All electric golf carts run on deep cycle batteries, which feature fairly long charge and discharge cycles for steady, consistent and sustained power.
First things first. The important aspects to consider while selecting golf cart batteries. One – Life cycle before recharge (optimal lifespan should be 600min or more). Electrical gadgets and accessories fitted to the cart may shorten the life cycle significantly and drain precious charge from the battery. Two- check out prices at aggregator sites, dealers before swiping the card. Ask assertively for special deals discounts, customer support, etc. Third – Ascertain warranty, shipping costs and know the finer print well before purchase.
Given that every industry is evolving, the golf cart battery industry is also maturing overtime. Currently, lead-acid and lithium golf cart batteries make up the market. Lithium batteries being lighter (hence better weight to performance ratio), result in less wear and tear and reach full charge much faster. They also last significantly longer than lead-acid battery. Given the obvious edge and advantages, lithium batteries have a high upfront cost. Typical cost varies from $800 to $1400 and even proceeding north to touch $2000 for high ends batteries.
SPS Brand, Universal Power Group and Powersonic are the top three recommended golf cart batteries in the market today. VMAX, Mighty Max and Diehard follow suit thereafter and are the next most sought after brands.
List of Best Golf Batteries:
- Trojan Trojan 6 Volt Battery T-105
- Amstron GC2 6V AGM Golf Cart, Marine, RV Battery
- NP6-225Ah 6V 225Ah AGM Deep Cycle Battery Camper Golf Cart RV Boat Solar Wind Power / （2pcs）
- Trojan T-125 6V 240Ah Flooded Lead Acid GC2 Deep Cycle Battery FAST USA SHIP
- Universal Power Group UB62000 6V 200AH Battery for Champion M83CHP06V27 Golf Cart RV Boat
- VMAXTANKS 6 Volt 225Ah AGM Battery: High Capacity & Maintenance Free Deep Cycle Battery for Golf Carts, Solar Energy, Wind Energy.
- Qty 4 VMAX V6-225: 6.2kWh 24V AGM Solar Battery Bank for Home, RV, or Industrial (4) 6V 225Ah AGM Deep Cycle Batteries 6 Volt Maintenance Free
- 5 Pack Replacement for CSB/Prism GP6110 Battery – Replacement UB6120 Universal Sealed Lead Acid Battery (6V, 12Ah, 12000mAh, F1 Terminal, AGM, SLA) – Includes 10 F1 to F2 Terminal Adapters
- Mighty Max Battery 6V 5Ah Replacement Battery for Rayovac 941, 944 Brand Product
- Mighty Max Battery 6V 5Ah SLA Replacement Battery for PowerStar DE650-S Brand Product
Golf cart battery maintenance is very important to get optimal performance from the golf cart. Some of the must-dos: –
- Battery should always be dry, clean and tight. One may clean the batteries with a bristle brush and a solution of baking soda and water. Wearing eye protection and rubber gloves is a must. One should also spray the cables with anti-corrosive spray to prevent corrosion and rust.
- Charge sufficiently for 8 to 10 hrs a proper charger. This is based on an 80% discharge, so at the time of charging the golf cart batteries would still be 20% charged. The best practice is to charge overnight after the individual(s) are done with the cart for the day. Even if we only used the cart for 5 minutes, we would like to give the golf cart batteries a good charge.
- Fill all golf cart battery cells and do not overfill. Use golf cart batteries Do not overcharge the batteries and one may not discharge the golf batteries beyond 80%.
- We should not charge frozen batteries and record the battery voltage of each golf cart battery cell for future reference.
Given innovation and better manufacturing facilities, quality and environmental protection are foremost. With a mission to protect the earth and its employees, plants today is being set up with intricate and intensive pollution controlling equipment to ensure that the effluent prejudicial to the environment is not discharged by the concerned units.
Once we are set up with the perfect replacement battery, it’s time to find a natural next step for the old one. A lot of manufacturers are committing and joining hands to nurture the environment by providing a safe disposal point for used batteries and bulbs. Each such location offers a drop-off space for recycling the used golf cart batteries, as well as recycling for a selection of other battery types. Whether we need to get rid of one golf cart battery or a full fleet, the recycling processes followed by companies provide a variety of options for personal and commercial needs.
So, it’s back to the greens once again. The golf cart is no more stuttering. With the batteries coming to life…. a perfect Sunday is on the cards. Tee off and game on!